B.S. IN HISTORY WITH SOCIAL STUDIES TEACHER LICENSURE 7-12
History majors may lead to the Bachelor of Science in History with Social Studies Teacher Licensure 7-12.
Minors are available in History and Resources Interpretation.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
Upon completion of the B.S. in History with Social Studies Teacher Licensure, graduates will:
- Know the significant periods and events in United States, European, and World History, and demonstrate the ability to conduct research in and write on historical subjects.
- Demonstrate their knowledge across the range of the social sciences, including economics, sociology, psychology, government, and geography, by receiving a passing score on the Praxis 2 social studies content exam.
- Complete a teaching portfolio in which they demonstrated appropriate pedagogical understanding by planning, creating, implementing, and reflecting on taught lessons with a focus on reaching diverse learners.
- Develop competence in the use of formative and summative assessments in teaching and an understanding of how to utilize those to improve student learning.
- Prove their ability to present material, motivate students, and teach effectively in the classroom through a supervised internship at an area school.
- Successfully complete all of the requirements for state licensure to teach social studies in grades 7-12.
- Exhibit the characteristics of effective citizens, and strive to include opportunities in their classrooms for students to do the same through the effective use of the National Council for the Social Studies curriculum standards.
- Become proficient in the implementation of Common Core literacy standards in their classrooms as specified by the state of Arkansas.